[SciPy-Dev] deprecations/removals for 0.9.0

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 28 07:57:57 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I just read through your change sets, and I think they are good
> >>
> > Thanks for checking. I'll commit that whole branch then.
> >

> >> I haven't looked at how the z, zs removal should be reflected in mstats.
> >>
> > Maybe better to answer first whether mstats should closely track stats or
> > not. I did not touch z/zs there because they were not deprecated like the
> > plain versions (but I'm not sure how important that is). There's also
> ticket
> > 1195 for updating zmap. I can do that all at once if you agree to just
> > mirror the changes to stats.
>
> I still keep forgetting sometimes about mstats when I make changes.
> Some functions in mstats are enhanced versions, that require more
> decisions, but mirrored functions like the z... should be in sync.
> I haven't checked all options for zmap and the corresponding mstats
> version. But, since the new zmap can also handle masked arrays, the
> mstats versions could be depreciated, removed completely.

The stats version is more comprehensive than the mstats one. Same for
zscore. So stats/mstats can be easily synchronized:
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commit/25b382e (zmap/zscore)
https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commit/c970fabf (other deprecations)

I've checked that the mstats.cov tests are not needed in numpy.ma, there are
quite a few tests there.

Ralf