[SciPy-Dev] deprecations/removals for 0.9.0

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 28 06:54:07 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Ralf Gommers <
> ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Here is a reminder that if you want to deprecate things for 0.9.0, to do
> >> that in the next two weeks. Furthermore, I took a look at currently
> >> deprecated things that should be removed. Below is a long list, I
> believe
> >> that all items on it have been deprecated long enough that they can be
> >> removed. Please check and if something can *not* be removed, say so in
> the
> >> next few days.
> >>
> >> Also, if you deprecate more things, please state in the source code (as
> >> well as in the release notes) at what version removal should take place.
> >> Which reminds me: what should the version number after 0.9.0 be?
> >>

> > Changes for ndimage, linalg and sparse are at
> > https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commits/deprecations. I have not
> touched
> > the sparse matrix methods yet, since Matthieu had a question on those and
> > Pauli has un-deprecated one already in his arpack branch.
> >
> > Changes for stats are at
> https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/tree/stats-work.
> > There are also several small bugfixes and the new kendalltau
> implementation
> > in that branch, if anyone is interested to review.
>
> I just read through your change sets, and I think they are good
>
> Thanks for checking. I'll commit that whole branch then.

> removing printcc is more than the ticket asks for
>
> https://github.com/rgommers/scipy/commit/3eb3bd08ddbc1950fbedcb5e68f5f5960cc1c080
>
> printcc is a useful function, getting a nice string/print for a list
> of list was important when arrays where not used,  but I don't think
> anything is using it, and it doesn't really fit in. So, I think it can
> as well be removed completely.

That's pretty much what I was thinking - it's completely unused and
therefore can be removed.

> I haven't looked at how the z, zs removal should be reflected in mstats.
>
> Maybe better to answer first whether mstats should closely track stats or
not. I did not touch z/zs there because they were not deprecated like the
plain versions (but I'm not sure how important that is). There's also ticket
1195 for updating zmap. I can do that all at once if you agree to just
mirror the changes to stats.

Cheers,
Ralf