[SciPy-Dev] FIR filter design - patch attached to ticket #457

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:48:07 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Warren Weckesser <
warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Warren Weckesser <
>> warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For any of you interested in FIR filter design, feedback on the patch in
>>> ticket #457 (http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/457) would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> What about negative frequencies? Do you want to limit yourself to real
>> filters? I expect yes ;)
>>

> That is the intended use-case of the patch, yes.
>

>> But at some point I want to add my version of the Remez algorithm which I
>> use to design complex filters and it would be nice to have a ready made
>> template for the interface.
>>

> How does the patch in #457 affect your plans for adding the Remez
> algorithm?

I'd rather copy someone else's interface than write it myself, I'm lazy that
way. Having interfaces that are at least similar is also helpful to users.
As to actually adding the algorithm, the code has been sitting around since
September 2009 and I'll get around to polishing it up and adding tests real
soon now ;) Although I don't expect to actually do anything until after the
new year.

Chuck