[SciPy-Dev] Mea culpa: deprecation and API changes

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Sat May 29 13:07:55 EDT 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Warren Weckesser
> <warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
>

>> What I would like to do is leave trunk as it is, and after 0.8 is
>> branched, make the appropriate changes in the branch to follow the
>> deprecation policy.  Is that a reasonable approach?
>>

> May I ask why do you want to do that way ?

Because it doesn't look like I will have time to make the changes before
Ralf branches 0.8 tomorrow.

>  Putting the deprecation in
> the release branch means people tracking trunk will never see them.

Good point.    But in case I am misinterpreting what you mean by
"tracking trunk" and "see":  I assume this means it is important to have
a record of the deprecation changes in the svn logs, and not that some
who is *using* scipy from trunk also needs to be exposed to the
deprecation warning for some minimum amount of time.  If the changes are
made to trunk, then they will be undone immediately after 0.8 is
branched.  So someone who updates from trunk every week or so might not
ever have a copy that includes the deprecation warnings.  In other
words, deprecations are linked to releases, not to "time in trunk".  If
my interpretation is wrong, let me know.

Warren