[SciPy-Dev] distribution docstring generation

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat May 15 03:38:45 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not entirely clear on the template problem to which you refer, but
> perhaps looking at what I did for Polynomial.deriv (actually, all of
> Polynomial's and Chebyshev's methods) might help?  In particular, both of
> these classes are generated from a template, and so things in the docstring
> that need to be substituted with the "value" of the template (i.e., either
> Polynomial or Chebyshev) are named w/ "$name" (and references to similar
> functions that use only a portion of the name use a ${nick}<rest of function
> name> syntax); I don't know if this a universal feature of the Python
> templating system, however - Charles H.?
>
> Hmm, I hadn't seen that before, it's a different method from used in
scipy.stats/ndimage.

Sorry to have to say this, but those changes are not very useful. Those
pages should also be locked and not edited. The generated patches will be
nonsense, and copying over cosmetic changes like in Polynomial.deriv
manually is a lot of work. If you really want to make minor changes to those
templates, I suggest you provide a proper patch or github branch and ping
Charles to review/apply them.

Ralf