[SciPy-Dev] "ok to apply" permission request

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Jun 18 17:38:02 EDT 2010

Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:44:11 -0700, David Goldsmith wrote:
[clip]
> I don't understand: if they're going to commit the changes, why do they
> need to be able to mark that they're going to commit the changes?  To
> help them remember which ones they've screened as possessing nothing
> "absurd" in case they can't commit the changes immediately after they've
> decided to commit the changes?

The point is that you typically commit a huge batch of docstring changes
at once, and reading through a long patch listing makes your eyes glaze
over really fast.

So a rough sanity check is much easier to do in the web system, and the
burden can be distributed across multiple people if necessary. Currently
ok-to-apply is married with the Reviewer permissions.

At least this is what I used and intended the feature for. I'm not sure
if anyone else actually understands it the same way, especially as this
is not written down anywhere :)

> > Typically the way to just indicate that stuff is "done", is to mark is
> > as "Needs review", at the moment.
>
> I guess then I'm really unclear as to the need for the "OK to apply"; my
> understanding was that it was there for the editor to signal to the
> commitor that, even thought the docstring is technically *not* ready for
> review (e.g., it's still missing an Example, say, or a needed
> Reference), it still represents a big enough improvement over what's in
> SVN that, in the editor's opinion, it is "OK to apply".  If "Needs
> review" is necessary and sufficient for something to be applied, then
> why do we need the extra "OK to apply"?

It was intended mostly as a reviewer/committer-level tool, at least
originally, which is why it's not active with Editor permissions. Since
anyone can in principle come and edit the wiki, I thought something like
this would come useful.

I haven't been following the edits lately, so I guess its your call as
the present active guy to decide who gets which privileges :)

--
Pauli Virtanen