[SciPy-Dev] chi-square test for a contingency (R x C) table

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:59:34 EDT 2010

On 06/17/2010 10:45 AM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Bruce Southey<bsouthey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 06/17/2010 09:50 AM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

>> In expected-nway, you say that "While this function can handle a 1D
>> array," but clearly it does not handle it correctly.
>> If it was your intention not to do one way tables, then you *must* check
>> the input and reject one way tables!

>> My issue is that the chi-squared test statistic is still calculated in
>> exactly the same way for n-way tables where n>0. So it is pure
>> unnecessary duplication of functionality if you require a second
>> function for the one way table. I also prefer the one-stop shopping approach
>>
> just because it's chisquare doesn't mean it's the same kind of tests.
> This is a test for independence or association that only makes sense
> if there are at least two random variables.

Wrong!
See for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson's_chi-square_test
"Pearson's chi-square is used to assess two types of comparison: tests
of goodness of fit and tests of independence."

The exact same test statistic is being calculated just that the
hypothesis is different (which is the user's problem not the function's
problem). So please separate the hypothesis from the test statistic.

> 1
>
> the equivalent function in R is summary(xtab(...))  not chisquare

I think you have the wrong function because corrcoef "Return correlation
coefficients" which is R's cor function.
What is xtab? It is not an R function perhaps someone's R package.

> I don't like mixing shoes and apples.

Then please don't.

>>> the table values are integers and I don't think there can be a problem
>>> with float64.
>>>
>>> If we start to add dtype arguments in stats function, then we might
>>> need more checking where and whether it's really relevant.
>>>
>>> Josef
>>>

>> Any time an operation uses summation, there will be the potential for
>> overflow that can be very serious for certain numerical types such as
>> integers. Consequently, numpy provides an optional dtype in accumulation
>> related functions like sum and mean. This avoids a user having to change
>> the input from a lower precision to a higher precision thus mitigating
>> the overflow problem. Thus, if a function uses say numpy's sum or
>> variance, adding the dtype option is free protection.
>>
> That's true in general, but is there a contingency table where
> overflow would ever occur at float64 or where there would be a
> significant loss of precision?
> My suspicion for this case is that a dtype argument just creates noise.
>
> Josef

Please do not mix 'precision' with 'overflow' as these are not same issue:
http://steve.hollasch.net/cgindex/coding/ieeefloat.html
"Overflow means that values have grown too large for the representation."

The way the expected values are computed involves summation so it can
occur for large dimensions with large values in it.
 >>> np.sum([10000000000000]*1000000)
-8446744073709551616

Obviously avoidable if your OS supports higher precision (but that is
indeed noise when the system does not support higher precision)
 >>> np.sum([10000000000000]*1000000, dtype=np.float128)
10000000000000000000.0

Bruce