[SciPy-Dev] Updating constants

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 14:55:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net>
> wrote:
> available

> recently?

> scipy.constants.codata

> >> I just relived I can update the constants and then compare them with
> >> the old. Should be quick, I will send out the diff in the morning.
> >
> > quote from the REVIEWS OF MODERN PHYSICS paper:
> >
> > "Although just four years separate the 31 December closing dates of
> > the 2002 and 2006 adjustments, there are a number of important new
> > results to consider. Experimental advances include the 2003 Atomic
> > Mass Evaluation from the Atomic Mass Data Center (AMDC),which provides
> > new values for the relative atomic masses Ar(X) of a number of
> > relevant atoms; a new value of ..."
>
> Ok a few more issues/question about constants.codata.
> Some of the names seem rather messed up because of how the raw text is
>  read. For example
> Loschmidt constant (273.15 K, 101.325 kPa)             2.686 7774 e25
>      0.000 0047 e25        m^-3
>
> The above line gets added to the physical_constants dict with the key
> value 'Loschmidt constant (273.15 K, 101.325 kPa)'.
> codata.value('Loschmidt constant (273.15 K, 101.325 kPa)')
> 2.6867773000000001e+25
>
> Seems like it should be no more that 'Loschmidt constant' and I would
> recommend 'Loschmidt' unless there is a conflict.

The new codata will need a bit of editing to work, for examples the columns
used to extract the various parts will need modification. I think "Loschmidt
constant" is the right name to use, but this "constant" depends on
temperature and pressure, so that should be noted somewhere, maybe in the
documentation.

Chuck