[SciPy-Dev] How to document parameters *args and **kwds

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:50:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 21:45, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've kind of discussed *args before (see
> http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/Questions+Answers/#variable-arguments), though
> we didn't note a "canonical answer."  Can we:
>
> A) agree on such, and
>
> B) extend it to parameter **kwds?

In most cases, I would leave the type field blank unless if they
happen to be homogeneous. They often aren't.

*args :
    Arguments to pass to the callback.
**kwds :
    Keyword arguments to pass to the callback.

But sometimes they are.

*indices : ints
    Possibly multiple indices.

I don't think Sphinx has a problem with these constructs, but I could be wrong.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco