[SciPy-Dev] Building docs in scipy?

Skipper Seabold jsseabold at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 09:05:25 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:52:10 -0400, Skipper Seabold wrote:
>> > Should numpy/doc/sphinxext be distributed with scipy/doc/ or is this
>> > user error?  I couldn't get the scipy docs to build until I copied it
>> > over.

Ah, ok.  I just got one of Pauli's branches (or whatever they are called in
git!) off github to look at the optimization rewrite, so that explains
that.  I didn't think I had to to this before.

>  It's pulled in by svn:externals. With git, ymmv. It probably should be
>> included in the distribution tarballs, nevertheless.
>>
>> Matthew helpfully pointed out some options (thanks!) to do this in git:
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel
>
> However, none of the options he gave are automatic, so people will keep
> running into this. I think building docs should work out of the box, so I
> see 2 options:
> 1. we copy sphinxext in scipy. it's not like it changes often, so keeping
> things in sync manually is doable.
> 2. sphinxext becomes a numpy module that can be imported and used from
> scipy.

I would vote for 2 if possible because I also use this stuff and have just
been copying it over by hand for now.

Thanks,

Skipper