[SciPy-Dev] Does Matlab need to be MATLAB(TM)...

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 02:01:18 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...everywhere it occurs?

I seem to remember I did put TMs all over the place in the matlab reader code.

I did a brief scan of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_%28trademarks%29

I see that the wikipedia style guide says (above) not to use TM etc.
I guess the principle is that, when we use the term 'matlab' it should
always be clear we are referring to the product made by Mathworks.  I
don't think adding TM will have much impact on that and it looks a bit
goofy.  My vote would be to remove all the TMs, and maybe add a couple
of footnotes in sensible places with 'matlab is a trademark of
Mathworks'.

Best,

Matthew