[SciPy-Dev] chi-square test for a contingency (R x C) table

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:22:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> On 06/02/2010 01:41 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Neil Martinsen-Burrell <nmb at wartburg.edu>
> wrote:
>

> On 2010-06-02 13:10 , Bruce Southey wrote:
> [...]
>

> However, this code is the chi-squared test part as SAS will compute the
> actual cell numbers. Also an extension to scipy.stats.chisquare() so we
> can not have both functions.
>

> Again, I don't understand what you mean that we can't have both
> functions? I believe (from a statistics teacher's point of view) that
> the Chi-Squared goodness of fit test (which is stats.chisquare) is a
> different beast from the Chi-Square test for independence (which is
> stats.chisquare_contingency). The fact that the distribution of the
> test statistic is the same should not tempt us to put them into the
> same function.
>

> Please read scipy.stats.chisquare() because scipy.stats.chisquare() is
> the 1-d case of yours.
> Quote from the docstring:
> " The chi square test tests the null hypothesis that the categorical data
> has the given frequencies."
> Also go the web site provided in the docstring.
>
> By default you get the expected frequencies but you can also put in your
> own using the f_exp variable. You could do the same in your code.
>

> In fact, Warren correctly used stats.chisquare with the expected
> frequencies calculated from the null hypothesis and the corrected
> degrees of freedom.  chisquare_contingency is in some sense a
> convenience method for taking care of these pre-calculations before
> calling stats.chisquare.  Can you explain more clearly to me why we
> should not include such a convenience function?
>

> Just a clarification, before I find time to work my way through the
> other comments
>
> stats.chisquare is a generic test for goodness-of-fit for discreted or
> binned distributions.
> and from the docstring of it
> "If no expected frequencies are given, the total
>     N is assumed to be equally distributed across all groups."
>
> default is uniform distribution
>

> Try:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson's_chi-square_test
>
> The use of the uniform distribution is rather misleading and technically
> wrong as it does not help address the expected number of outcomes in a cell:
>

> quote from the wikipedia page:
> "A simple example is the hypothesis that an ordinary six-sided dice is
> "fair", i.e., all six outcomes are equally likely to occur."
>
> I don't see anything misleading or technically wrong with the uniform
> distributions,
> or if they come from a Poisson, Hypergeometric, binned Normal or any
> of number of other distributions.
>

> Okay this must be only for the 1-way table as it does not apply to the 2-way
> or higher tables where the test is for independence between variables.

I'm talking about a completely different strand of literature, e.g. a
commercial program specialized on this
http://www.mathwave.com/articles/goodness_of_fit.html#cs

And never think of tables when I look at goodness-of-fit tests. I
haven't seen yet a case where the asymptotic results for the chisquare
test doesn't apply.

> There are valid technical reasons why it is misleading because saying that a
> random variable comes from some distribution has immutable meaning.
> Obviously if a random variable comes from the discrete uniform distribution
> then that random variable also must have a mean (N+1)/2,  variance
> (N+1)*(N-1)/12 etc. There is nothing provided about the moments of the
> random variable provided under the null hypothesis so you can not say what
> distribution that a random variable is from. For example, the random
> variable could be from a beta-binomial distribution (as when alpha=beta=1
> this is the discrete uniform) or binomial/multinomial with equal
> probabilities such that the statement 'all [the] outcomes are equally likely
> to occur' remains true.
>
> If you assume that your random variables are discrete uniform or any other
> distribution (except normal) then in general you can not assume that the
> Pearson's chi-squared test statistic has a specific distribution. However,
> in this case the Pearson's chi-squared test statistic is asymptotically
> chi-squared because of the normality assumption. So provided the central
> limit theorem is valid (not necessarily true for all distributions and for
> 'small' sample sizes) then this test will be asymptotically valid regardless
> of the assumption of the random variables in this case.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_uniform_distribution
>

> chisquare_twoway is a special case that additional calculates the
> correct expected frequencies for the test of independencs based on the
> margin totals. The resulting distribution is not uniform.
>

> Actually the null hypothesis is rather different between 1-way and 2-way
> tables so you can not say that chisquare_twoway is a special case of
> chisquare.
>

> What is the Null hypothesis in a one-way table?
>
> Josef
>

> SAS definition for 1-way table: "the null hypothesis specifies equal
> proportions of the total sample size for each class". This is not the same
> as saying a discrete uniform distribution as you are not directly testing
> that the cells have equal probability. But the ultimate outcome is probably
> not any different.

Ok, I will have to look at this (when I have time), in my opinion this
is inconsistent with the interpretation of a test for independence in
a two-way or three-way table.

Josef