[SciPy-Dev] Recent changes to scipy stats

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 04:54:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:

> > IMO, the problem - in general, not just w/ any one person - is not the
> particulars of what's been done, but the attitude, when it's exhibited by an
> individual, any individual, that the rules may be disregarded when that
> individual, any individual, unilaterally and spontaneously decides those
> rules are inconvenient.  The rules are there for very good reasons;
> paraphrasing a recent set of statements by Robert K.:
>
> What is the rule that has been broken exactly?

Good point: I've been led to believe that there's a "rule" (aka "policy")
against checking-in code that doesn't include passing unit tests and a
Standard-compliant docstring, but I must concede that I can't say *where*
(other than on the listserv) *any* rules are recorded, so if I am mistaken -
if there is in fact no such rule/policy - I apologize, I guess we are all
(or at least all those w/ commit privilege) free to commit as it suits our
"style."

> I'd really like to know what people are actually annoyed by and who exactly
> is annoyed?

Great, I'd like to know who *isn't* annoyed.

DG

> Perhaps my confidence with committing to trunk is what is fundamentally the
> issue.  It's clear that some people prefer a different process and perhaps
> the move to a distributed version control will help things.
>
> I do feel a certain confidence with code that I have written and I like to
> get changes into trunk quickly.   That has always been my style.    I don't
> think I have changed in this regard.   Perhaps it is seen as brazen or
> inconsiderate, but I don't see it that way.    I actually think it very
> inconsiderate that I should be treated with such rudeness for contributing
> needed functionality.
>
> Sometimes rules become rules inappropriately.  Why should one development
> process hold sway over another?  Who is right?  Well, clearly, it's just a
> matter of the people around and what they want to see.   If the majority
> here want to see a different process, then that's where we will go.  But, to
> really do it, we will need to move to a distributed version control process,
> I think --- or at least I will need to.  I will try to work on that when I
> can find the motivation.
>
> -Travis

by Robert Graves)