[SciPy-Dev] scipy.stats

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 04:35:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:

> I do like a more "free-wheeling" style to code development than one that is bogged down with "rules" and "procedures".     This clearly is not your style.   For me, it comes down to time to spend.   I love working on SciPy and NumPy.    I don't have a lot of time to do it.   When I see quick changes I can make that add value I like to be able to do it.   I think we both want the same thing while we may disagree about the best way to get there.
> In my mind, discussion doesn't end when a check-in is made --- it just begins.   You should never interpret my checking something in as the final word.   We clearly have a different view of "trunk"

I think the main issue is that you only see tests as a nuisance
because it gives you less time to do the actual work. Testing,
documenting indeed has a cost - but by not doing it, you are
transferring this cost to someone else. IOW, the cost of your changes
are the same with or without tests  - it just ends up being someone
else doing the work you don't do, work that you recognize yourself as
not being the most interesting one.

I think we all understand how valuable your contribution has been (and
still is !) to numpy/scipy. But whether you like it or not, now that
scipy/numpy are matured packages used by a lot of people, some
"overhead" and process is unavoidable.

cheers,

David