[SciPy-Dev] Typo in license file

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 28 06:51:02 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Ralf Gommers <
> ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Joshua Holbrook <josh.holbrook at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Not a big deal but under clause (c):
>>>
>>>  c. Neither the name of the Enthought nor the names of its contributors
>>>
>>> should probably be:
>>>
>>>  c. Neither the name of Enthought nor the names of its contributors
>>>
>>> That is, there's an extra "the." Like I said, not a big deal, but I did
>>> notice.
>>>
>>> I think there's also a bit missing, it should be something like:
>> "The names of Enthought, the SciPy Developers or any contributors may not
>> be used ..."
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> I agree.  While at first it might seem redundant, the original phrasing can
> be interpreted as to mean only the contributors from Enthought.  This way,
> any contributors to SciPy is covered by the clause.

So can this be changed? It seems to make things more precise, but since the
license is quite important I don't want to change it without an explicit OK
from an authoritative voice (steering committee member).

Proposed diff:

-  c. Neither the name of the Enthought nor the names of its contributors
-     may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
+  c. The names of Enthought, the SciPy Developers or any contributors may
+     not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
      without specific prior written permission.

Ralf