[SciPy-Dev] IDL .sav file reader for scipy.io

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Jul 25 11:58:59 EDT 2010

Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:10:36 -0400, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a message to this list ('potential
> scikits package') asking whether a package I have developed to read IDL
> .sav files would be useful to have as a scikits package, but several
> people suggested it should go into scipy.io directly.

+1

Looks good to me. Has tests and seems to work, so it should go in for 0.9
IMHO.

Some comments:

- verbose=False should be the default; a function in a library shouldn't
  print anything unless explicitly asked to.

- What's the motivation for the `python_dict` option?

- What's the motivation for the `uncompressed_file_name` option?
  For working with very large files?

--
Pauli Virtanen