[SciPy-Dev] Required Python Version

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 18 10:40:32 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Matthieu Brucher <
matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/7/17 David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Ralf Gommers
> > <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> We now support python 2.4-2.6, for the next versions we'll add 2.7, 3.1
> and
> >> 3.2. Supporting more versions has a cost. And it's clear that the amount
> of
> >> people running 2.4 from svn is at or close to zero, because recent
> syntax
> >> errors for 2.4 have gone unnoticed for a long period.
> >
> > People running svn are a small proportion of our userbase. And the 2.4
> > support cost is fairly minimal IMO.

I am not the best judge of how much the cost is, but this thread started
because of a patch that couldn't go in, and Charles question on Py_ssize_t
is as yet unanswered.

Certainly, 2.4 support is more
> > important than 3.x at this point.

That's debatable. 2.4 users have perfectly good releases right now (plus
numpy 1/5 / scipy 0.8 coming up), 3.x users have nothing.

> I cannot agree more with David. We are still running RHEL 4 on several
> hundreds computers, and we still are heavilly using SLES 10.1 which
> comes with 2.4 (IIRC). Migrating these computers is a lengthy task
> which is only done every few years (few = 4-5 years for RHEL, we are
> starting to jump to 5.2 which has... 2.4).
>
> So is your point you're still running 2.4 in 4 years time, therefore
support for it cannot be dropped for 4 more years? Or when does it become
okay for you to do so?

Cheers,
Ralf