[SciPy-Dev] Required Python Version

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Jul 17 15:42:42 EDT 2010

Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:10:26 -0500, Benjamin Root wrote:
[clip]
> And I have seen a few independently administered government machines
> running Fedora, that doesn't necessarily reflect the IT policy of
> government servers.  What would probably be important to find out is if
> the features/enhancements that would be made available by dropping
> support for 2.4 outweigh leaving behind a group of (dedicated) users.
> In addition, are there features/enhancements that are planned that don't
> require dropping 2.4, but that these users would also want/need?

I do not think supporting 2.4 has a large impact on maintenance burden.
The differences to Python > 2.4 are small, at least if compared to Python
3.

I would not consider the "with" statement or absolute imports very
important at this point. We already went through the trouble to get
things working on Python 3, and deciding to drop Python 2.4 to make the
transition easier is no additional help at this point.

--
Pauli Virtanen