[SciPy-Dev] splev

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 23:45:24 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I opened ticket #1223 <http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1223> because
the values returned by splev are not zero for arguments outside of the
interval of definition. Because splev evaluates b-splines, which all have
compact support, I think zero is the correct value for such arguments.
However, I also find that some tests assume that splev extrapolates the
interpolating polynomials defined in the first and last spans, which is what
splev currently does.  Consequently I thought it worth bringing the topic up
on the list for discussion before making the commit that changes the
behavior.

Chuck