[SciPy-Dev] SciPy docs: volunteers needed now!

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Sat Jul 3 12:51:53 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM, David Goldsmith
> <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Joshua,
>>>
>>> In addition to the very technical writing for individual functions, we
>>> also need documentation that is accessible to newcomers.  Many modules do
>>> not implement any functions themselves, but act as a grouping module (for
>>> example, scipy.io).  These modules could definitely use good, up-to-date,
>>> summary narratives.  Even some modules further down the stack can still
>>> benefit from good summaries.
>
> What would really benefit is a solid example for different types.
> There are so many inconsistent styles in the numpy documentation - I
> know I wrote some. You can always see that when there are different
> definitions (when present) for input that are array-like. There should
> be one single definition for these common input and output that should
> be immutable by the writer and should automatically appear.

I have just started making a long list of doc examples. This page
http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/Questions+Answers/
Is a great place to get started but if all you (I) want is a cheat
sheet with a fairly long list of style examples for each section and
the order the sections should be in. And this without all the noise
from the discussions related to the style. This was also going to
serve as a rst guide.
If others are interested in this we should probably add a wiki page for this.

Vincent