[SciPy-Dev] SciPy docs: volunteers needed now!

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 14:40:01 EDT 2010

Hi,

> This year we have taken on the SciPy docs, which are bigger and more
> technical.  A handful of very dedicated people has taken up the
> challenge, and David Goldsmith is once again our able coordinator.
> However, at the rate we are going it will take something like a decade
> to finish.  We're writing just 700-1200 words a week.  I have had to
> question whether it is worthwhile paying a coordinator for the effort
> of just a few volunteers, as these people are fairly focused already
> and there just are not very many of them.

I wonder whether there is any other approach that we can explore to
help generate more volunteer work?    Do you think it is mainly the
difference between scipy and numpy that explains the drop-off?   Or
something else?    To the extent that it is the technical differences
- do you think there would be any point in trying to establish
something like nominated experts or want-to-find-out type experts who
will offer to advise on particular parts of scipy - even if they don't
themselves write the docstrings?   Or anything else that might help?

Best,

Matthew