[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Announcing toydist, improving distribution and packaging situation

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Jan 3 04:14:46 EST 2010

On 29-Dec-09, at 9:22 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

> I think Pypi is mostly useless. The lack of enforced metadata is a big
> no-no IMHO. The fact that Pypi is miles beyond CRAN for example is
> quite significant. I want CRAN for scientific python, and I don't see
> Pypi becoming it in the near future.

Agreed. The amount of times I have seen packages on the RSS feed that
have no package description, no external URL, no author contact
info... Not to mention the huge preponderance of
plone.basketweaving.underwater packages or other plugins that really
don't interest me but I have no good way to filter out (not that
there's anything wrong with plone, but it's a general problem with a
lack of namespace-awareness).

David, the description of toydist sounds fantastic, and there's nobody
I'd trust more to have thought through the design of such a beast.
Happy New Year to you and yours. :)

David