[SciPy-Dev] build issue on OS X 10.6 - fails on fftpack

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 21:56:26 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM, David Cournapeau <david at silveregg.co.jp>wrote:

> Ralf Gommers wrote:
>
> > $ LDFLAGS="-lgfortran -arch x86_64" FFLAGS="-arch x86_64" python
>
> Whenever you redefine one of the CFLAGS/FFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS, it
> *overwrites* the default value (contrary to the usual behavior of having
> its value appended to the default value).

I followed the instructions under "Obtaining and Building NumPy and SciPy on
this page: http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X . There it says
that the above command *extends* the build flags. So that info is wrong? Or
maybe I'm still not understanding something.

> here, by overwriting LDFLAGS, you remove all the link options necessary
> to build a bundle, and the linker believes you want to build an
> executable (hence the missing main symbol message, and all the
> unresolved symbols from libpython.dylib).

To be clear, I'm just trying to build scipy on my own machine, so I can test
the numpy binary installer against it. I'm not trying to build a scipy
installer. Although figuring out how to do that would be good as well.

Cheers,
Ralf