[SciPy-dev] 0.8 release date?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:48:28 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> ma, 2010-02-22 kello 10:31 +0900, David Cournapeau kirjoitti:
>> Warren Weckesser wrote:
>> > Is there currently a target date (even a tentative one) for the release
>> > of 0.8?
>>
>> Not that I know of, but I think it would be good to have one. I would
>> also like to have a binary release for scipy which is compatible with
>> whatever version will be used for numpy based on 1.4.x branch, something
>> like:
>>       - Scipy 0.8.0 and Numpy 2.0.
>>       - Scipy 0.7.2 and Numpy 1.4.x
>>
>> This only concerns binaries - at the source level, I think both numpy
>> 1.4.x and 2.0 can be used against scipy trunk (at least the scipy trunk
>> as recent as last week works well with 1.4.x, that's what I am using for
>> my own work).
>
> Do we want even to release a separate 0.7.x? I'd say this is not very
> well spent work, unless (i) 0.8 will still take a long time, and (ii)
> there have been substantial bug fixes.

I think a 0.7.2 is worthwhile for two reasons:
  - it can work with numpy 1.3.0 as well
  - I think having two scipy binaries at the same version for two
different numpy is too confusing. My experience is that many people
will not look into any information, and just say it does not work.
Versions are easier to explain.

> One issue is also whether f2py works at all on Py3. All of its 0 unit
> tests pass in Numpy SVN on Py3, so YMMV :)

Well, there is one way to know for sure: scipy could be considered as
a test suite for f2py :)

David