[SciPy-dev] 0.8 release date?

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at enthought.com
Mon Feb 22 15:39:37 EST 2010

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Warren Weckesser wrote:
>
>> Is there currently a target date (even a tentative one) for the release
>> of 0.8?
>>

> Not that I know of, but I think it would be good to have one.

Definitely.

>  I would
> also like to have a binary release for scipy which is compatible with
> whatever version will be used for numpy based on 1.4.x branch, something
> like:
> 	- Scipy 0.8.0 and Numpy 2.0.
> 	- Scipy 0.7.2 and Numpy 1.4.x
>
> This only concerns binaries - at the source level, I think both numpy
> 1.4.x and 2.0 can be used against scipy trunk (at least the scipy trunk
> as recent as last week works well with 1.4.x, that's what I am using for
> my own work).
>
> The big question is whether we should release scipy 0.8.0 without caring
> about py3k compatibility at all, in which case we could aim at a release
> in April, and go into bug fixing mode only from now.

"Bug fixing only from now" might be a bit short notice for people.  So
far, I've contributed just a few patches, but I plan on doing a lot more
work over the next month or so--mostly in scipy.signal--and some of this
will involve adding new functions and enhancing old ones.

Here's a suggestion that provides some more time for enhancements:
release 0.8 in time for the SciPy 2010 conference.  The conference
begins June 28.   Suppose we work backwards from there.  How much in
advance of the conference should the final release be?  Let's say four
weeks, so we aim for a June 1 release.  If the schedule on the
"Milestone 0.8.0" web page
(http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/milestone/0.8.0) is still reasonable,
then the 0.8 branch freeze should be mid-May.  That leaves about 12
weeks of development time.

Considering that the "MakingReleases" wiki page says there will be a
stable release every three months, I don't think anyone will complain
that this is not enough time. :)  However, some people may want the
release sooner.

What do you think?

Warren