[SciPy-Dev] Status of scipy.* docstrings

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 07:23:14 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Scott Sinclair
<scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 August 2010 12:55,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A related question that is not urgent: Are we keeping the split of
>> information between tutorial and sub-package rst pages, or should some
>> background information be moved to the package rst files ?
>
> I think it makes sense to keep a split between the two. Tutorials
> should describe how to use a selection of the sub-package tools by
> example, while the sub-package rst pages should be the top level of
> reference documentation for the sub-package.

Some tutorial pages also contain the mathematical definitions and
background explanations of the algorithms, e.g. signal.lfilter and
fft, just two examples that I remember. Also having the
definitions/formulas of the stats.distributions in the tutorials hides
them a bit.

Those parts might better belong in a package documentation. Usage
examples of course should remain in the tutorials.

Josef

Josef