[SciPy-Dev] Status of scipy.* docstrings

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 05:48:08 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:18 AM, David Goldsmith
<d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, folks!  Except for scipy.stats, the docstrings of all sub-packages
> immediately "below" scipy have now had autosummary directives for all (with
> one exception) their objects added to them, with either the existing
> description if there already was one, or the description pulled in by the
> autosummary (perhaps paraphrased if necessary to satisfy the 75 character
> restriction) if said pulling worked, or "TODO" if neither of those
> conditions were met; scipy.stats was already partially under autosummary
> "control" when I checked it, so I've left it alone pending further info as
> to whether this incompleteness is intentional or not.  I will continue to
> work my way down the namespace tree - at a reduced pace - but I just wanted
> to announce that this ad hoc (i.e., "unofficial") milestone has been met,
> and point out that some of the holes alluded to above can serve as pointers
> to places that need work, e.g., places where the autosummary directive
> either pulled nothing, "failed to parse" the summary, or pulled an
> excessively long description (indicating, IIUC, a docstring w/ an
> excessively long Brief Summary).

Is there a way to handle now autosummary and similar directives in
python modules, e.g. info.py.

What's the pattern/recommendation now for content in the module
docstring, in __init__.py or info.py, versus subpackage rst file ?

(I'm still trying to catch up with recent changes.)

> Thanks for all you do (and thanks for all the kudos that have come in post
> my resignation announcement).

Also a big thank you from me, especially for getting a more consistent
structure into the docs.

Josef