[SciPy-Dev] preparing for scipy 0.8 release

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:22:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that scipy 0.7.2 and numpy 1.4.1 are out the door, it's time to look at
> what needs to be done for scipy 0.8.
>
> Some questions
> - What needs to be done and what do you all want included that's not in
> trunk yet in terms of features / new code / code cleanups?
> - Right now scipy trunk needs to be built against numpy trunk. Is it
> feasible to build against numpy 1.3 still, to get one backwards-compatible
> release? If not, 0.8 should be released in parallel with numpy 2.0.
> - Time line: do we want a release before SciPy2010 (end of June)? If so,
> there's only a month left before a freeze. If not, we could just provide
> snapshot binaries in June.
>
> Here's some things that I personally think should be done:
> - clean up tests so nothing is printed when they are run (deprecation
> warnings etc)
> - clean up build warnings as far as possible
> - create a little bit of order in Trac

I also have a cremez module that can be used to design equi-ripple filters
with complex Hermitean coefficients. It is like the current remez in signal
but more general. It uses the fft for interpolation, is written in cython
and can also be used for L_inf fitting of functions on an interval with the
coefficients naturally returned as a Chebyshev series. I don't know how much
time I will have to polish it up, nor do I know the best place to put it,
although I've been thinking scipy.optimise would be a good spot.

Chuck