[SciPy-Dev] preparing for scipy 0.8 release

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 25 07:05:27 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Now that scipy 0.7.2 and numpy 1.4.1 are out the door, it's time to look at
what needs to be done for scipy 0.8.

Some questions
- What needs to be done and what do you all want included that's not in
trunk yet in terms of features / new code / code cleanups?
- Right now scipy trunk needs to be built against numpy trunk. Is it
feasible to build against numpy 1.3 still, to get one backwards-compatible
release? If not, 0.8 should be released in parallel with numpy 2.0.
- Time line: do we want a release before SciPy2010 (end of June)? If so,
there's only a month left before a freeze. If not, we could just provide
snapshot binaries in June.

Here's some things that I personally think should be done:
- clean up tests so nothing is printed when they are run (deprecation
warnings etc)
- clean up build warnings as far as possible
- create a little bit of order in Trac

Cheers,
Ralf