[SciPy-Dev] Lapack alignment test in linalg failing

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:56:51 EDT 2010

On 12 April 2010 16:34, Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
> Anne Archibald wrote:
>> On 12 April 2010 12:22, Warren Weckesser <warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I created a ticket: http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/1152
>>>
>>> If any of the original authors or editors of the code that tests
>>> misaligned arrays are still around, some feedback would be appreciated,
>>> especially about why the misalignment is being done twice.  I'm not sure
>>> if that is intentional.
>>>

>> That code is my fault, and it's a mess. I think the correct way to
>> handle this is to catch the "NaNs/Infs present" exception, or possibly
>> to edit the misaligned arrays to remove any NaNs/Infs. Unfortunately
>> the bug this was attempting to tickle is deep in the bowels of ATLAS,
>> and is very difficult to trigger correctly; in particular, an identity
>> matrix does not trigger the bug. This is the reason S is misaligned
>> twice: it takes that kind of bizarre data to trigger the bug. Since
>> the symptom of the bug is a segfault, raising a "no NaNs" error
>> qualifies as a pass (though I'm a little surprised you got any NaNs -
>> what platform are you using?)
>>

> Using scipy 0.8.0 r6120 or later, I get the same error on Mac OSX, Linux
> (RH 64 bit), and Windows XP.

That is disturbing. I'll try to take a look at this version when I get
home and see if I trigger the bug.

> Does the test really need to reuse the output of the first call of
> solve() as the input to the second call? That is, does it really need
> overwrite enabled?  If so, then catching the exception and calling that
> a "pass" doesn't seem right, because that prevents the underlying lapack
> routine from being called the second time.

The bug is only triggered when overwrite is enabled, but the code does
not actually reuse any argument arrays. I should at least rearrange
the code so that the different offsets are different tests (so that
all get run even if one fails), but I had in mind catching the
exception on one call of the LAPACK function but then passing on to
the others.

Anne