[SciPy-Dev] How to remove depreciated stats functions?

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:10:53 EDT 2010

On 04/06/2010 02:27 PM, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bruce Southey<bsouthey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Is there a formal policy to fully depreciate the following stats functions?
>> mean
>> median
>> std
>> var
>> samplestd
>> samplevar
>> cov
>> corrcoef
>> stderr
>>
>> Really can we either remove them, say they will be gone in 0.8 or
>> directly equate them to numpy version (ie 'mean=np.mean')?
>>
> Many of them are already gone and raise an exception (mean, var, std,..)
>
> some others are under depreciation warning during 0.8. cycle and I
> guess will be removed in 0.9 (samplestd, samplevar and I think
> corrcoef and stderr).
> I need to check, but I think all of them delegate to the numpy
> functions, but use the old scipy default options for backwards
> compatibility during depreciation.
>
> We should make sure that all function that we want to get rid of, have
> a depreciation warning when 0.8 is released so that we can remove them
> in 0.9 or so
>
> Josef

Then for those stats functions  (like stats.mean, stats.var) that just
raise a warning these should state that these will be removed with scipy
0.8? I also think that the others like samplestd should go at the same
time especially given the relatively 'slow' release of scipy.

Also, there are a number of tests (eg test_std) that should also be
removed because these are (or should be) addressed by numpy. Some of the
warnings involve uncorrected tests (like test_stderr) that I should have
followed up on. However, if these functions are going to get removed
soon, it seems better to remove the test than patch it.

Bruce