[SciPy-Dev] request for testing: SciPy 0.7.2 RC1 + NumPy 1.4.1 RC1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:11:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 04/05/2010 10:33 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
>

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>> Scipy installed okay on Win7 pro 32 bit Python 2.6 but the tests were
>> interesting.  Several times during the scipy.test() windows came and
>> went. There are also warnings indicating some incompatibility.
>>

> Windows should not be popping up, unless you're also running doctests with
> plot commands. Any idea what they are? If not, can you narrow it down by
> running tests for the individual modules?
>
> All I did was 'import scipy' and then run 'scipy.test()' so I do did not
> tell it to run any doctests.

So can you run the module tests?
>>> scipy.integrate.test()
>>> scipy.optimize.test()
etc. Then maybe you can find out where those windows are coming from.

>> Why is the histogram warning here? It does say removal in Numpy 1.4 so
>> should be gone. Also, shouldn't some of the other stats functions also
>> be removed?
>>

> These things should have been removed but weren't in 1.4.0, I just kept it
> that way. It can still be removed of course, but maybe this is better done
> (or already done) in trunk?
>
>  David Huard did bring the histogram issue up but apparently it was no addressed:http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2009-December/047389.html
>
> If it is not removed then can you please clarify what 'Numpy 1.4' means?
>

> Well, even though the numpy 1.4.0 binary was removed from sourceforge, I
regarded that as 'Numpy 1.4'. So I see 1.4.1 as a bug-fix release for 1.4.0,
not the place to remove something. Updating the docstring like David H.
suggested makes more sense to me.

That said, I don't feel strongly about it either way.

>> While not your fault, we should not have these "FutureWarning" coming
>> from the tests such as:
>> Warning (from warnings module):
>>  File "E:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\matlab\mio.py", line 165
>>    oned_as=oned_as)
>> FutureWarning: Using oned_as default value ('column') This will change
>> to 'row' in future versions
>>

> The test output is very chatty. Again, I wanted to keep things the same as
> 0.7.1 except for fixing the binary incompatibility issue. For 0.8 I think
> all these warnings should be cleaned up, but does it make sense to do that
> in this bug fix release?
>
> The same goes for the build output by the way, long lists of complaints
> about tab characters, unused variables, etc. Would be good to start cleaning
> that up for 0.8.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
>  I understand this and know that there is a lot for scipy to improve on
> especially in updating the tests (in my view test should not trigger
> warnings).

Agreed, no warnings should be triggered.

> You have done a great job in getting a functional release for both numpy
> and scipy for windows.

Thanks. Most of the credit has to go to David though for the good build
infrastructure and helping me figure things out!

> Do you have the source release for Linux?
>
> http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0h4fae/n/numpy-1.4.1rc1.tar.gz
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0h4f99/n/numpy-1.4.1rc1.zip
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0h4h16/n/scipy-0.7.2rc1.tar.gz
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b0h4g9d/n/scipy-0.7.2rc1.zip

The binaries for python 2.5 should still follow by the way. That requires me
to duplicate my 2.6 build environment and may take a little bit of time.

Cheers,
Ralf