[SciPy-Dev] request for testing: SciPy 0.7.2 RC1 + NumPy 1.4.1 RC1

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:33:26 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
> Scipy installed okay on Win7 pro 32 bit Python 2.6 but the tests were
> interesting.  Several times during the scipy.test() windows came and
> went. There are also warnings indicating some incompatibility.

Windows should not be popping up, unless you're also running doctests with
plot commands. Any idea what they are? If not, can you narrow it down by
running tests for the individual modules?

> Why is the histogram warning here? It does say removal in Numpy 1.4 so
> should be gone. Also, shouldn't some of the other stats functions also
> be removed?

These things should have been removed but weren't in 1.4.0, I just kept it
that way. It can still be removed of course, but maybe this is better done
(or already done) in trunk?

> While not your fault, we should not have these "FutureWarning" coming
> from the tests such as:
> Warning (from warnings module):
>  File "E:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\io\matlab\mio.py", line 165
>    oned_as=oned_as)
> FutureWarning: Using oned_as default value ('column') This will change
> to 'row' in future versions

The test output is very chatty. Again, I wanted to keep things the same as
0.7.1 except for fixing the binary incompatibility issue. For 0.8 I think
all these warnings should be cleaned up, but does it make sense to do that
in this bug fix release?

The same goes for the build output by the way, long lists of complaints
about tab characters, unused variables, etc. Would be good to start cleaning
that up for 0.8.

Cheers,
Ralf