[SciPy-Dev] Questions about docs

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Fri Apr 2 00:41:28 EDT 2010

Warren Weckesser wrote:
> Each package has the file "info.py" (e.g. scipy/linalg/info.py) that
> contains a docstring.  For linalg, roughly the same information is in
> doc/source/linalg.rst.  Which is the file that is currently maintained,
> and which can we get rid of?  Running "make html" in doc/ uses the .rst
> file, but the corresponding web page at docs.scipy.org
> (http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy.linalg/) appears to be from the
> file info.py.
>
> More basic question:  when I have the trunk checked out, what is "the
> way" to build the docs?

If you want to build the doc for the scipy you have in your trunk, you
need to build and install scipy first (so that the docstrings can be
extracted).

The way I do it when generating the scipy binaries is:
	- create a virtual env and activate it
	- install scipy through python setupsconsegg.py install (or setupegg.py
- I prefer using scons because I can build scipy very quickly on a
multicore machine)
	- then build the doc (cd doc && make html)

cheers,

David