[SciPy-Dev] test output 0.7.2rc1

David Cournapeau david at silveregg.co.jp
Thu Apr 1 22:06:35 EDT 2010

Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is the test output of the scipy 0.7.2rc1 for OS X. All tests pass with
> numpy 1.3.0, two (harmless) failures with numpy 1.4.x branch. Outputs pasted
> below. The questions I have are:
> 1. during compilation, is it normal for sparsetools to take forever and use
> all available cpu cycles?

That's as normal as c++ can be :) Sparsetools relies on SWIG +
templates, which are both performance killer as far as compilation is
concerned. Sparsetools currently accounts for ~ 50 % of the whole scipy
build time.

> 2. why am I warned about using fblas instead of cblas?

I don't know, those have always confused me. AFAICS, those are reliques
from old scipy code, I don't think they matter (I think we should remove
them).

> 3. There seems to be a problem with the N_GSYM symbol, any idea what that
> complaint is about (see partial build log at the bottom of this mail)?

This one is new to me, I have never seen it before. Looks like a problem
with gfortran on mac os x. We should first see if the issue stays with
the following issue:

> Built with
> $ export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0
> $ export CXX=/usr/bin/c++-4.0

I think whatever issue happens with the actual gcc version should be
fixed - we should not rely on gcc 4.0 on Snow Leopard, and this is not
needed (the -mlong-branch warning is linked to this).

cheers,

David