[SciPy-dev] reimplementation of lfilter

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Sep 23 21:43:30 EDT 2009

David Cournapeau skrev:
> Oh, you certainly *can*, as we can use gcc to compile extensions
> against python built with MS compiler. But there are limitations -
> with C, those limitations are known, with C++, they become atrocious
> once you use the C++ runtime (RTTI, exception, etc...). I had to debug
> some stuff in sparsetools on windows 64 bits a few days ago, and this
> was horrible because the exceptions are lost between DLL.

Mingw (g++) will statically link its own C++ runtime.  DLLs compiled
with g++ do not share C++ runtime. This obviously is a problem if you
need to propagate an exception from one DLL to another. MS Visual C++
does not have this issue.

You get the same issue in C if a DLL statically links its own C runtime,
or two DLLs use different shared C runtimes.

> I call this a disadvantage :) And having exceptions in a language
> without gc causes more trouble than it worths IMHO. Exception-safe C++
> is incredibly hard to do right.

I'd say exceptipn safe C++  is easy to do right, but C++ textbooks don't
teach you how. They generally teach you all the mistakes you can do. And
if a book has 'best practices' or 'effective' in the title, it is likely
full of BS.

The main issue is to never -- ever -- open an allocated reource outside
a constructor. That includes calling new or new[]. Always use
std::vector instead of new[], unless you have an extremely good reason.
Always deallocate resources in a destructor. Objects should always be
put on the stack (unless allocated in a constructor), and references
should be used instead of pointers.

For example, look at wxWidgets, that has an additional Destroy() method
in the GUI classes. Destroy() must be called manually. This is a classic
C++ mistake. Destroy() is not called automatically, so an exception will
mess this up.

Sturla Molden