[SciPy-dev] Any advice for building SciPy? LAPACK error

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 20:03:05 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Kevin Dunn <kgdunn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Yesterday I asked about building Scipy
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/11832) as
> I was following the various instructions
> * here: http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
> * and here: http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux
>
> Since then I discovered the SCons script, so first question: is using
> the SCons script the preferred way to build SciPy now?

No, the default option is still to use distutils (the setup.py files).
But the scons scripts are maintained and should work on most platforms
(I almost exclusively use the scons build myself).

> Using the setupscons.py script (after cloning and installing numscons
> from github, version 0.11.0), I encounter the error, "no lapack found,
> necessary for lapack module" when running "python setupscons.py
> build".  More details in the traceback below.

You downloaded a development version, so things may be broken. To get
the exact error, you can look at
build/scons/scipy/lib/lapack/config.log, and paste this output.

cheers,

David