[SciPy-dev] source repository in http://scikits.appspot.com/

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 02:13:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 00:44, David
Cournapeau<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> Hi Josef
>>
>> 2009/9/3 josef.pktd at gmail.com <josef.pktd at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> If there is no easy way of getting the repository information into it,
>>> it's ok with me.
>>>

>> Would it be possible to use the download-url field to specify the
>> repository location?
>>

> I am afraid this may break easy-install, as easy-install looks for
> tarballs at the download-url meta-data if the package is not found in pypi.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools

"""
So, if your url or download_url point either directly to a
downloadable source distribution, or to HTML page(s) that have direct
links to such, then EasyInstall will be able to locate downloads
automatically. If you want to make Subversion checkouts available,
then you should create links with either #egg=project or
#egg=project-version added to the URL. You should replace project and
version with the values they would have in an egg filename. (Be sure
to actually generate an egg and then use the initial part of the
filename, rather than trying to guess what the escaped form of the
project name and version number will be.)
"""

It won't break anything. easy_install can be dumb at times, but it's
not that dumb. SVN repo download_urls existed on PyPI before
setuptools was written.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."