[SciPy-dev] RFR: Proposed fixes in scipy.stats functions for calculation of variance/error/etc.

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:58:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:07 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:51 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi Josef -

>>> Yes - I think that would be best. After all, someone wrote zmap with
>>> some usecase in mind (I assume), so we would still want that
>>> functionality to live on explicitly. So, I suggest (see attached diff)
>>> to have two functions: one will be zscore and the other would be
>>> zscore_compare. In the attached diff, I have decorated all these
>>> functions with a deprecation warning and added these two new
>>> functions, zscore (with the new, by-axis behavior. This makes more
>>> sense to me, somehow) and zscore_compare.

>>> Thanks for the explanation and for digging into the history of this. I
>>> still think that in the long run it would be preferable to have these
>>> things be internally consistent (that is consistent between numpy and
>>> scipy), rather than consistent with other tools.

I hope the "long run" is very long.

axis=0 as default is consistent with views to structured arrays or recarrays
and to reading data from a csv file in the common orientation (genfromtxt).

I think, it's more a convention for data analysis than a questionn whether
you work with a package that has c orientation instead of fortran orientation.
One exception to this is panel data, especially with a 3d array.
axis=-1 looks like a pain because it doesn't stay fixed when I add a
third dimension. axis=None is pretty much useless with a
dataset of variables with mixed units.

Practicality beats Purity (especially if Purity is defined by the
software and not the problem)
and (almost) all of statsmodels is based on variables are columns.

Josef