[SciPy-dev] CeCILL license

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 17:30:03 EDT 2009

2009/10/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> Hi all,
>
> As far as I know, only the CeCILL-B license is similar to our modified
> BSD.  Does that mean that we can't use code from Scientific Python,
> for example?

None of the CeCILL licenses are suitable for code in scipy, in my
opinion. The CeCILL-B is closest, but it has attribution requirements
that are stronger in some ways than the GPL-incompatible advertising
clause in the original BSD license. I'm pretty sure it is not
GPL-compatible, and I doubt it will be considered DFSG-free or OSI
approved.

The CeCILL license (~GPL) and the CeCILL-C license (~LGPL) are not
suitable for obvious reasons.

> I ask in relation to
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/ticket/354#comment:7

While it is worthwhile for the author of the patch to ask Konrad, I'm
pretty sure that code existed in ScientificPython before Konrad
switched from the BSD license to the CeCILL license and could be
forked from a previous version of ScientificPython.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco