[SciPy-dev] scipy doc milestones duplicates and triplicates

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 01:10:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked at http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/Milestones/Milestones_11/
>
> and the list is huge, however, many functions are in there either as
> duplicates (those imported into scipy.stats.*) or as triplicates
> (distributions).
>
> Are functions supposed to be listed in the module, e.g.
> scipy.stats.stats, or the package name, scipy.stats?
>
> Individual distributions are listed as class, and twice as instances
>
> # scipy.stats.distributions.nbinom
> # scipy.stats.distributions.nbinom_gen
> # scipy.stats.nbinom
>
> None of the docstrings of the individual distributions can actually be
> edited since they are autogenerated (except for the extradoc).
>
> Any idea what the milestones should look like in this case, or is it
> too early to ask?

It's definitely not too early to ask, and as a "matter of policy," we don't
want the same things needing to be documented in more than one place due to
the risk of divergence down the line, so yours is a good, ripe question,
requiring a solution.  The numpy side of the wiki has a Q&A page that was
set up to facilitate collaborative answering of these kinds of questions,
however, I don't think it's well-trafficked, and this is important enough
that I think we should just go ahead and discuss it here.  So, what do
people think about this?

DG