[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:38:09 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> the various orthogonal-polynomial bases if we implement them).
>
> Multiplication and division are different for all three bases, though
> I know how to write a generic division that should both work and be
> numerically stable (albeit not as efficient as one might wish) for all
> representations.
>
> Power can be implemented once for all types, but has a more efficient
> specialized implementation for Lagrange polynomials.
>
> Companion matrices and roots can be done generically for any
> representation that allows division, but will have special
> implementations in most bases.
>
> All the various adapter plumbing to make operators work on polynomials
> is identical for all representations.
>
> The convert() operation to change the representation of a polynomial,
> can probably work fine given the destination basis and a polynomial
> object, but will need to be different for each basis.
>
> So to summarize: we have some code that should be shared by all
> representations, some that can be written generically but some
> representations will provide specialized implementations, some that is
> shared between only some representations, and some that is unique to
> each representation. User representations, if they occur, may share
> some code with existing representations, but it's not clear which.
>
> So where do we put the code? Whether any given bit of code should be
> in the polynomial objects or the basis objects is not clear; some bits
> need to be in the basis objects (conversion code, zero(), one(), X())
> and some bits need to be in the polynomial objects (type checking,
> operator implementation). But the actual meat of a new representation
> could in principle go in either place or in some third place (module
> namespace?).
>
> What decides this, I think, should be how we handle the code sharing.
> My answer is to handle the code sharing with inheritance - it is a
> natural, well-supported, flexible mechanism built into python for
> doing exactly this sort of code sharing. All basis objects share some
> features (zero(), __neq__()), and some share more (any graded basis
> can sensibly act like a sequence, returning the ith basis function).
> So it seems to me that inheritance is a sensible way to connect basis
> objects and allow them to share code.
>
> I've tried two different places to put the "meat" functions, directly
> in polynomial classes, or in basis classes. The latter allows all
> current polynomial representations to share a common type, which makes
> implementing new representations a little tidier. Then the basis class
> hierarchy allows code sharing between the "meat" functions too (e.g.
> power, roots).
>
> Could the basis objects share code in some other way? I don't really
> see another good approach - for example I don't see how your
> loose-functions-plus-class-maker would handle the issue of power(),
> which is generic for some implementations but specialized in others. I

I think we should look at Josef's suggestions of metaclasses also.

> >> ChebyshevBasis = generate_basis("ChebyshevBasis", mul=chebmul, ...)
> >>

> > Heh! Well it's does look like a compromise, or rather, design by
> committee
> > ;) But it is something to think about.
>
> You should have seen my first attempt - I tried to write a function
> declare_function(globals(),"lag",LagrangeBasis) that would create
> functional interfaces and add them to the module namespace, but I got
> lost in the bowels of python's introspection system.

Yes, I think the thing to keep in mind is what we want to do and then find
the best tool for the job.

> Joking aside, this really is applying your technique to my preferred
> structure of polynomial object plus basis object. I think there's a
> real need for a basis object, and if you want to be able to create one
> simply by specifying a handful of low-level functions, this will do it
> for you.

I don't like the idea of passing the basis into the instance constructor, I
think it would be preferable to pass it into the constructor of a class
creator. That is why Josef's suggestion of a metaclass rouses my curiosity.
Now if I can only figure out what metaclasses are...

> I should also say that, having implemented KroghInterpolator and
> BarycentricInterpolator - polynomial objects in fact, albeit with a
> different goal and very limited features - it's really not difficult
> to write fast compiled code in cython that works in an object-oriented
> way.

Yes. Although I expect the bottlenecks are few and those few can be pure C
(cython) code while the rest is just plain old python. Which cython will
compile also, of course ;)

Chuck