[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:37:17 EDT 2009

2009/10/6 David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>:
> IMO this thread has matured to the point where someone(s) should formally
> propose a feature spec/object structure for community vetting. :-)

http://www.scipy.org/NewPolynomials

I don't propose an object structure, because I'm not sure how that
should look, and I'm also not sure how reasonable my various
requirements and restrictions are. On the other hand I did list at the
end some references I found in a quick literature search; it appears
the wisdom is that for general polynomial manipulation it's best to
use the Bernstein basis (the same used in Bezier splines) or the
Lagrange basis (representing polynomials by (x,y) pairs). In either
case papers are available describing algorithms for all the basic
polynomial operations.

Anne