[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:54:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted at gmail.com>wrote:
<snip>

> Personally I think that the high-to-low order in poly1d is a mistake,
> but at this point I think it may be one we're stuck with. But since
> chebyshev polynomials are all new, they do offer the chance to start
> fresh. Low-to-high order also has the advantage that you could
> implement access to higher coefficients returning zero, if you wanted,
> so that they could be treated something like their mathematical notion
> of series that happen to terminate.  That said, I haven't used poly1d
> much at all, so I'm not necessarily the best person to ask.

The more I think about it, the more I am tempted to change the coefficient
order to low to high and remove the indexing altogether so the object looks
more like an immutable type. Folks can still assign directly to the coef
attribute, but that makes it look more like the abuse it is, so maybe it
won't be used that much.

Chuck