[SciPy-dev] Generic polynomials class (was Re: Volunteer for Scipy Project)

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Tue Oct 6 13:48:01 EDT 2009

ti, 2009-10-06 kello 10:24 -0600, Charles R Harris kirjoitti:

[clip]
> I would like to make the change, but I would like some sort of
> consensus first. Of course, I will need to rewrite all the
> code/documentation if it happens ;)

One question to ask is what goes where.

To me, functionality dealing with polynomials in different bases
(including Chebyshev) sounds definitely like a part of Scipy, and not a
part of a basic numerical array package that we might want to keep Numpy
as. Personally, I'd rather leave poly1d alone, and effectively replace
it by a proper polynomial handling package in Scipy, as it sounds like
the amount of features is ballooning. Thoughts?

A second question is how much of this has to do with scipy.special.
Quite often, one just needs values of orthogonal polynomials at certain
points, and it could be useful to have separate fast ufuncs for
computing these, rather than having to construct a bulky class instance
first.

	Pauli