[SciPy-dev] Cython and large generated .c files

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 9 00:51:13 EST 2009

Matthew Brett wrote:
> I think that size does matter, as they say, because, if we add a
> moderate number of .pyx files to scipy, we can easily end up adding
> megabytes of diff _per_commit_.

The diff problem can be somewhat alleviated by marking the generated
files as binary.

>   In the meantime the repository will
> start growing rapidly.  If we ever go to distributed version control,
> we'll get all of that with a 'git clone' or similar.

Git file-format compression is good. In numpy's case, a git clone takes
the same space as a svn checkout.

Now, if everybody else does not mind having a build dependency on a
recent cython version, I won't be against it either.

David