[SciPy-dev] binary compatibility question

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat May 16 13:58:54 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>> good, which means I need to start from the beginning.
>>

> :)
>
>> I'm using the virtualenv to run different versions, but not to build.
>> With earlier versions of virtualenv it wasn't possible to build
>> extension in a virtualenv on Windows, but I haven't tried this in half
>> a year or so.
>>

> Ah, yes, sorry, I forgot. You're right, it does not work to build python
> extensions - you have to install virtualenv from sources, where this is
> fixed. To make things even more fun, the last svn version is broken. I
> don't remember the exact number and my windows vm is shut down, but if
> you look at the svn revision log, somewhere around beginning of april,
> there is a mention on that fact - get this version, it works. Once you
> get the right version, installing is a breeze, though, just python
> setup.py bdist_wininst  + executing the installer.
>
>> To build against numpy 1.2.1, I replaced numpy in pythons  sitepackages.
>>

> Yes, but this breaks eventually, because you always forget to update it
> at some point. That's why things like controlled environments are
> better. On windows, virtualenv is the only tool I know of which can do
> that painlessly for python.

ok, I managed to compile scipy 0.7.x in a virtualenv, and get zero failures.

for the record:
I'm using the latest release virtualenv-1.3.3,
easy_installed numpy from exe installer
additional to the usual changes to numpy/distutils/site.cfg, I added
the [DEFAULT] link and include directories of my system-wide python
version
But then I still needed to copy ``python25/libs`` directory to the virtualenv.
After that, building scipy from inside the virtualenv works without errors

I haven't tried any other (non numpy) extensions yet.

>>> numpy.version.version
'1.2.1'
>>> scipy.version.version
'0.7.1.dev5744'

>>> scipy.test()
Ran 3456 tests in 66.657s
OK (KNOWNFAIL=2, SKIP=29)
<nose.result.TextTestResult run=3456 errors=0 failures=0>

Thanks,

Josef