[SciPy-dev] binary compatibility question

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat May 16 06:25:28 EDT 2009

josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

>>> I build scipy 0.7.1 against numpy 1.2.1 (official installer) and I get
>>> the same segfault. I get it already trying to `import scipy.stats`
>>>

>> This is strange. Did you remove the build directory and the previously
>> installed scipy before building scipy 0.7.1 against 1.2.1 ? This should
>> definitely work. I am testing it ATM,
>>

> I removed the build directory between builts, but I had a recent scipy
> trunk on the python path, since this usually didn't cause any problems
> for the building. I followed my usual procedure for compiling scipy,
> but I had never tried with a downgraded numpy before.

You are using virtualenv, right ? I think that's the best solution on
windows. In that context, you keep one environment per released numpy
you are interested in (1.2.1 here), and one for development purpose.

> If the build of  scipy 0.7.1 against numpy 1.2.1 works for you, then I
> will check everything to see why my usual setup didn't work for this
> case.

I can confirm it works. I fixed a couple of issues (none of which would
have caused the crash, though) on 0.7.x + numpy 1.2.1 combination on win
XP, with several full test runs, without any trouble.

cheers,

David