[SciPy-dev] ReST tutorial - where should it go?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri May 15 06:17:39 EDT 2009

2009/5/15 Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>:
> I sense some gentle South African teasing here, but I'm too tired to
> understand, so I say:
>
> Great - glad I taught you something new about structs!

Always so suspicious of the former colonies! :)

But no, I was being serious: thanks for all your work on scipy.io and
for writing the tutorial!

I was surprised, because I thought the Octave structure:

octave:2> s = struct('foo', 1, 'bar', 2)
s =
{
  foo =  1
  bar =  2
}

would be read in by SciPy to a variable x that could be accessed:

x.foo and x.bar

In the tutorial I saw that you had to use

x[0, 0].foo and x[0, 0].bar

instead, which didn't make sense to me, mainly because in the 3 years
since I last used Octave I forgot that one could do:

octave:4> s = struct('foo', {1, 2}, 'bar', {4, 5})
s =
{
  foo =

  (,
    [1] =  1
    [2] =  2
  ,)

  bar =

  (,
    [1] =  4
    [2] =  5
  ,)

}

In Octave you then see that

octave:6> size(s)
ans =

   1   2

octave:7> s(1, 1)
ans =
{
  bar =  4
  foo =  1
}

after which the way SciPy indexes the data makes a lot more sense!

Enjoy the weekend!
Stéfan