[SciPy-dev] Note at beginning of "Other Math" Milestones

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed May 13 03:11:31 EDT 2009

2009/5/13 David Goldsmith <d_l_goldsmith at yahoo.com>:
> "the routines in scimath should probably just refer to the standard numpy routines" - i.e., do we want their docstrings to recommend that the numpy routines be used instead, or simply refer the user to those functions' docstrings for help?

numpy.lib.scimath is convenient in that it provides output in the
complex domain, if required:

In [5]: np.sqrt(-1)
Out[5]: nan

In [6]: np.lib.scimath.sqrt(-1)
Out[6]: 1j

The documentation for these functions may refer to the standard numpy
routines, but should document the differences explicitly.

Regards
Stéfan